NAIROBI, Kenya —In the wake of the Libyan Ministry of Justice ‘s call for an inquiry into sporadic attacks at multiple checkpoints throughout the country, Islamic State (IS) on Saturday claimed responsibility for Thursday’s and related attacks, especially the most recent attack on a security checkpoint in the western Libyan city of Zliten, which killed and injured security personnel.
IS media arm Amaq said in a statement on Twitter that “A number of soldiers of the caliphate raided Wadi K’am checkpoint on Zliten road, targeting a gathering of security members of the infidel government. They clashed with them with light weapons and grenades.”
The terror group maintained that 17 security men were killed and injured, confirming that the “Mujahideen returned safely to their positions”.
These and related attacks occurred less than a day after IS leader, Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi, called on his supporters to “turn to Libya and support the Mujahideen in Libya, Syria, and Iraq.”
Sources say a number of Libyan cities have previously suffered similar terrorist attacks, targeting security and military checkpoints.
Meanwhile, the justice ministry urged the Attorney General’s Office to take legal actions against those responsible of this heinous act and called on all components of society to stand together in order to combat and defeat terrorism, it said.