News

Construction of Kenya-Tanzania highway to begin in 2020: AfDB official

DAR ES SALEM, Tanzania – Two east African nations, Kenya and Tanzania are forging ahead in linking their territories by road connectivity.

The construction of a transnational highway between the two east African countries is expected to begin in early 2020, the financier said on Tuesday.

The east Africa director general of the African Development Bank (AfDB), Gabriel Negatu,

disclosed in Nairobi that funding for the 460km road is expected to be approved in September this year.

“Both the Kenya and Tanzania governments have finalized all their requirements to pave the way for the construction of the coastal highway,” Negatu said during the Kenya roadshow for the upcoming second edition of the Africa Investment Forum.

The forum which is scheduled to take place in South Africa from November 11 to 13 is regarded as the African continent’s investment marketplace for accelerated economic transformation.

Negatu added that the Kenya-Tanzania transnational highway is expected to cost 75.1 billion Kenyan shillings (751 million U.S. dollars), and will run through Malindi, Mombasa and Lunga on the Kenyan side and Horohoro, Tanga and Bagamoyo on the Tanzanian side.

According to sources, the transnational highway is among the infrastructure and job creation projects being prioritized by the East African Community.

AfDB will finance 70 percent of the coastal highway while the governments of Kenya and Tanzania will cover the remaining 30 percent of the construction cost.

Show More

Globe Afrique News Desk

Globe Afrique’s News Desk coordinates and analyses news stories from around the world as well as the gathering or distribution of news. Globe Afrique, a US-based institution, is Africa’s leading investigative media entity. The institution’s researchers, analysts, reporters, and contributors deeply investigate and report on a single topic of interest, such as serious crimes, political corruption, or corporate wrongdoing. The institution, which sometimes spends weeks or months researching and preparing investigative reports, also researches into social and legal issues. Have a news tip, write to globeafriquellc@gmail.com

Related Articles

Back to top button
Translate »
Subscribe To Globe Afrique

Subscribe To Globe Afrique

Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from our team.

You have Successfully Subscribed!

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This
Close