Why is Patience Jonathan, wife of Ex-president Jonathan, Taking Nigeria’s Anti-Corruption Agency to Court?
ABUJA, NIGERIA –– President Muhammadu Buhari’s battle against corruption in Nigeria seems to be gaining attraction with Nigerians in many ways, especially with respect to boosting the country’s budget with recovery money.
According to authorities with the knowledge to the country’s budgetary process, at least 6 percent of Nigeria’s $28.2 billion budget for 2018 will be buttressed, in part, with looted funds recovered from corrupt Nigerian officials, the government announced on Friday.
In view of the success in bringing to light stolen wealth, the Nigerian government is urging its citizens to continue to back the fight against organized and systemic corruption in the country.
Law professor Itse Sagay, chairman of the presidential advisory committee, said in Abuja, “In 2018, 500 billion nairas ($1.6bn) from what has been recovered is going to be used to fund the budget.”
Adding, “Regardless of what some elites, who I think are the beneficiaries of corruption, are saying, the anti-corruption efforts have been extremely successful,” he added, in response to critics opposed to the campaign.
President Muhammadu Buhari has made the fight against corruption one of three major campaign pledges. However, his critics say his anti-graft campaign is targeted mainly at the opposition but the government continuously denies the charge.
The head of the country’s anti-graft agency, Ibrahim Magu, said last week that the government has recovered some $2.9 billion in two years — and that at least $43 million of the amount was recovered from former Petroleum Minister Diezani Alison-Madueke, who is currently standing trial in the UK and Nigeria.
Since the start of anti-graft campaign, the administration has made it a duty to favor assets recovery over dragging wrongdoers before judges in a process that waste time and cost a lot financially.