Nigeria’s army chief, Lt–General Tukur Buratai unveiling military plans for Boko Haram

LAGOS, Nigeria–– On Tuesday, February 6, 2018, Lt–General Tukur Buratai, Nigeria’s Chief of Army Staff (COAS), demystified the allegations that Boko Haram Islamic insurgents had regrouped and controlled a large territory in the twitchy northeast region of the country.

Buratai made the remarks while addressing reporters in Port Harcourt.   The army chief said there was nothing like resurgence, stressing that one or two incidents should not be interpreted as a resurgence.

“Every facet of our society needs to be part of this fight against terrorism. It is a national disaster and calamity which we must all join hands to defeat,” Buratai said.

Buratai reiterated the military’s commitment to rescuing the 110 Dapchi schoolgirls abducted by the deadly Islamic insurgents last month.

“Definitely, everybody is concerned and we are doing our best in finding the missing schoolgirls,” he said.

Government and eyewitnesses have all confirmed that on February 119 this year, about 110 students of the Government Girls’ Science and Technical College in Dapchi were abducted by the suspected Jihadists and taken away.

The incident occurred barely four years after the same Islamic terror group raided a female school in Chibok and seized more than 200 girls into captivity.

Since 2009, Boko Haram, an offshoot of ISIS and al Qaeda international terrorist groups, has been trying to establish an Islamic state in northeastern Nigeria.  In the process, the jihadist sect

Has killed more 20,000 people and forced millions of people in refugee life and internal displacement.

Several Nigerian political commentators and analysts blamed President Buhari for not doing enough to eliminate the terror group despite what many described as “empty talk and promises” during his campaign for president some four years ago.