JUBA, South Sudan – Ceasefire monitors in South Sudan on Monday disclosed that that about 2,200 army instructors are ready to start the training of both government and opposition armed forces to form a force of 83,000.
The new force will be tasked with providing peace and security in the country during the three-year transitional period.
Desta Abiche Ageno, the chairperson of Ceasefire and Transitional Security Arrangements Monitoring, Verification Mechanism (CTSAMVM), said that the army instructors in Mapel, Luri, Rambur, and Malakal are waiting to be moved to designated locations.
“CTSAMVM welcomes the provision of the curriculum for the training of a unified force. The trainers will also train the VIP protection force.
Training of trainers is now complete,” Ageno told a stakeholder meeting in Juba.
He said the parties have achieved progress in setting up security mechanisms within the 100-day extension.
“With more than 2,200 trainers in Mapel, Luri, Rambur, and Malakal waiting to be moved to designated locations. 19 training centers have been assessed, and the Joint Transitional Security Committee (JTSC) advises that nine can be activated, and the training of the necessary unified forces can begin once the necessary resources are received,” Ageno said.
President Salva Kiir and ex-rebel leader Riek Machar agreed last month to delay the formation of a unity government by more than three months.
South Sudan reversed into another prolonged civil war in late 2013. Since then, the conflict has created one of the worst refugee crises in the world, displacing 4 million South Sudanese internally and externally.