General James Mattis testifies before the Senate Armed Services Committee hearing on Capitol Hill
WASHINGTON, D.C.— U.S. Defense Secretary Retired General Jim Mattis announced Thursday that the U.S. military has been addressing problems brought highlighted after the Niger (nee-ZHEHR’) attack last year that killed four American service members.
General Mattis said the military has identified the core of the problem, which he said is not a delegation of authority issue.
Speaking before the U.S. Congress, the defense secretary said the Trump administration will keep providing troops to African nations and there may be temporary increases in forces. He however pointed out that he expects no significant, permanent increase.
Few Congressional committees have received the 200-page report summary on the Niger attack, and victims’ families are being briefed on the report this week, according to sources.
Several officials, who spoke on condition of anonymity, maintained that the report found breakdowns in the mission approval process and other failures.